Meet Potted Plants That Are Harmful to Dogs

Meet Potted Plants That Are Harmful to Dogs

There are a number of potted plants that are harmful to dogs. These include Geranium, Iris, Silk Pothos and African violets. Keep these out of your dog’s reach. If your dog starts showing symptoms of sickness, you should consult with your veterinarian. You should also be aware of the dangers of exotic foods.


Geranium plants are poisonous to dogs and you should call a veterinarian immediately if your dog ingests the parts of a geranium potted plant. In case of a minor exposure, your dog may have only a mild reaction, but if your pet vomits or shows other signs of illness, you should get him to a veterinarian as soon as possible. Geraniums have essential oils that are highly toxic to animals.

Geraniums come in many species, including the cranesbill and the ivy-leaved varieties. These species grow low and spread. These varieties have five petals that are symmetrical. The leaves are stiff with scalloped edges. All parts of the plant contain toxic chemicals in low concentrations.

Although geraniums aren’t fatal, they can cause pain and vomiting in cats. While you shouldn’t leave your cat unsupervised near a geranium potted plant, it is still important to monitor your pet closely and call your veterinarian if you notice any of these symptoms. Cats are obligate carnivores, and will chew on small amounts of plant matter. While they usually avoid plants that contain toxic substances, they aren’t always as aware as you are.

While geranium potted plants are generally safe for dogs, the following varieties are poisonous to dogs. Sago palm, a plant often used as an ornamental shrub in temperate regions, contains a compound that is toxic to dogs. When ingested, it can cause diarrhea and vomiting, as well as cardiac symptoms. In addition, cyclamen roots can cause vomiting, drooling, and depression.


Iris potted plants are poisonous to dogs and can cause serious health problems. It’s important to keep these plants out of your dog’s reach, especially when your dog is out for a walk. If your dog does accidentally eat an iris flower, make sure that you remove it from their mouth and fur. You can also call your veterinarian to get them checked out.

Iris poisoning in dogs is rare but it’s important to know how to treat the situation. The best way to avoid a serious rash or death is to get your dog to the vet right away. It’s important to know which part of the flower your dog consumed and how much. You can also bring a sample or a photo to your vet’s office to prove the plant is poisonous.

Lilies are toxic to dogs and cats for various reasons. While most of them cause only skin irritation, lilies can cause gastrointestinal upset. A dog that ingests a lily may develop symptoms of kidney damage, diarrhea, and drooling.

If you’ve got irises potted indoors, make sure that you move them to an area that is out of reach of dogs. A great place for your potted irises is a high shelf or a secure area where dogs can’t get to them. Keep a close eye on your dog when he is outside.

African violets

If you have a pet and you love to keep potted plants, you may be wondering if African violets are poisonous to dogs. While most African violets are nontoxic to dogs, you should still be sure to consult a veterinarian if you suspect your pet has eaten some of these plants. In addition to identifying which plants are not poisonous to pets, you should also train your dog to stay away from the plants.

Although African violets are not toxic to dogs, they can cause diarrhea and stomach upset if they ingest them. The foliage can also contain fertilizer or soil additives that are harmful for your dog. If your dog ingests the African violet leaves, you should consider removing the African violet plant from your home.

Unlike some other flowers, African violets are not toxic to kids and most household pets. Even though they are poisonous to goats and rabbits, it won’t harm them if they only eat them once in their lives. But they are harmful to small children and pets if they eat a large amount of them. However, even though African violets aren’t toxic to humans, they still need to be kept out of the reach of small children and pets. Hopefully, these safety measures will keep your children and pets safe.

You can try putting some African violets in your house as potted plants. However, you should remember that you can’t put them in your dog’s room, as they can cause digestive problems. The best option is to keep them in a separate room or give them to a friend who doesn’t have a pet.

Phalaenopsis orchids

If you have a dog, you may be worried about whether or not Phalaenopsis orchids are poisonous to your dog. But, if you take some precautions, you can safely keep them inside your home. First, you must know that all species of orchids are not toxic to dogs. This includes phalaenopsis orchids, Odontoglossum orchids, Cattleya orchids, and Polypodia orchids. They’re also on the ASPCA’s list of pet-friendly plants.

Orchids are fascinating plants that attract a lot of people. Phalaenopsis orchids are non-toxic and safe for dogs, cats, and horses. However, there are other types of orchids that are dangerous to animals, including azaleas and peace lilies.

The first step in treating your pet poisoning by orchids is to call your veterinarian. Explain to them the situation and make sure to mention any fertilizers used on the orchids. You also have to take note of any symptoms your dog is showing. Your veterinarian will give you further instructions. You can also keep some activated charcoal tablets around as a preventative measure. If your dog has swallowed the toxin, they may have diarrhea, vomiting, tremors, and convulsions.

Besides being pet-friendly, Phalaenopsis orchids are also easy to grow indoors. They grow best in east-facing windows and need infrequent watering. Their striking leaves and tiny flowers make them an ideal choice for a houseplant.


If you have a potted Amaryllis plant, it may be poisonous to your dog. The primary toxic principle in this plant is lycorine. This toxin is found in several common plants, and has been known to cause adverse effects in humans and animals. Symptoms may include vomiting and diarrhea, obvious abdominal pain, hypersalivation, anorexia, and tremors. Fortunately, amaryllis poisoning is not usually fatal.

If your dog were to ingest a piece of Amaryllis flower, symptoms may include vomiting, diarrhea, or drooling. In addition to these signs, ingesting the milky sap may cause dermal irritation. However, it is important to note that these signs can be delayed by a few hours. The severity of the symptoms will depend on the species of the plant and the amount consumed.

While amaryllis is not dangerous to humans, it is harmful to wild animals. The most toxic alkaloid in the amaryllis plant is lycorine, which is present in the bulb. The leaves and stalks of the plant contain smaller amounts. Larger animals are unlikely to die from eating amaryllis, while small animals may not be so lucky.

Although the effects of amaryllis ingestion are controversial, there are only a few cases of ingestion of the plant in humans. Depending on how much is consumed, it can cause vomiting, decreased blood pressure, diarrhea, and a lower blood pressure. It is not clear exactly what the plant’s toxicity is, but any of its parts could result in serious health problems for your pet.

Podobne tematy

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *